The Missoula Insectarium inspires an appreciation and understanding of insects and their relatives through educational programs and innovative science exhibits featuring live invertebrates
In June of 2010 the Missoula Butterfly House and Insectarium completed a custom-designed business feasibility study with Kallima Consultants, Inc. to determine if our vision for an insect education facility in Missoula, MT could be viable.
Guided by the positive results of the feasibility analysis, our vision for this future facility includes:
- A 2,000 square foot tropical butterfly house
- A viewing area to watch the final stage of metamorphosis and see adult butterflies emerge from their chrysalides
- An insect zoo and hands-on exhibits that teach children and adults about invertebrate biology, ecology and conservation
- A classroom for school groups, community programs and special events
- An outdoor pollinator garden and insect-themed playground
- A gift shop and dining area
- As a unique resource for our local community, schools, and visitors to Montana, the Missoula Butterfly House & Insectarium will provide an unequalled opportunity to learn about the fascinating lives of insects.
- Excellence in Education – We strive for excellence in our programs and exhibits and will share our passion for nature by providing the very best instruction and services to a diverse public. We seek to inspire and promote curiosity among our patrons, from toddlers to seniors.
- Community Oriented – We are ever mindful that we exist to serve the community as a trusted resource, partner and neighbor. We will enhance our community through education, service, collaboration and engagement.
- Integrity – We the leadership, Board of Directors and staff of MBHI, hold ourselves to the highest ethical and professional standards in all that we do.