Welcome MCPS Third Grade Teachers to the Missoula Insectarium & Big Ski Documentary Film Festival Teacher Resource page! On this page you will find a PDF for an Observation Journal that corresponds with the screening experience your students had during the Big Sky Documentary Film Festival. You will also find a set of resources that we recommend for any teachers with eager bug lovers in their classroom. And lastly there is a short form to fill out if you are interested in bringing your students to the Insectarium for a field trip.
This document can be printed double sided or single sided, in color or black and white. Two to three staples down the long left side will create the notebook effect. Adding ‘chit board’ to the back of the print out and stapling together with the papers creates a notebook effect. You can find chit board on Amazon fairly cheaply.
Resources We Love
- The Wild Kratts TV show on PBS has a great website and great episodes that address biomimicry. Their content is accurate and fun.
- The web series ScienceTake from the New York Times will be a bit beyond most elementary school level students but it is a great video series for teachers to get a look at current research topics. The videos are simple, well done and only last two to four minutes.
- Interested in attracting pollinators to your school yard or garden? Our handy Pollinator Guide can help get you started.
- During the Insect Engineering field trip we talk in great detail about what happens when a tarantula molts. Sometimes nothing compares to actually seeing it with your own eyes. Thanks to YouTube there are plenty of opportunities to watch a time lapse video of this process. Take a peak at this Mexican Red Knee Tarantula molting.
- Learning the difference between a millipede and a centipede can be exciting and challenging. Here is an easy to follow infographic on the subject. It is geared towards adults but is a good way to ground your own understanding of the topic before engaging with your students.
- The SciShow is a locally produced video series that covers a wide range of topics. Here are a few of our favorites:
Interested in coming for a Field Trip? Let us know!
There are also a limited number of scholarships available, let us know if you would like to apply.